Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Person of impact from my childhood

Dear Grandpa Mike Maloney,

Remember when I was a little girl and you lived with us in your upstairs bedroom? You used to come down the stairs each morning dressed in your brown 3 piece suit. You would pull out your pocket watch which was chained to your vest, flick it open and say to me, “It’s Howdy Doody time, Sharron!” I loved the smell of your after shave, a strong, manly scent. I am so sad that my sons never got to meet their grandfathers. Both were such wonderful men: strong, kind, dependable, family-focused, strong work ethic, loving in their own ways, played catch with their kids, faithful to their wives, etc.

The value of family and continuity the “automatic” unspoken bond between generations. Scripture does not talk about generation gaps; society has invented that term and “cultural” mandate and has caused many problems.

I could: Write a list of questions I wish I could ask him or my parents today that I never thought of when they were still alive, generational dialogue, create a series of photos pulled off the Internet with a schmaltzy song playing behind, include generations interacting and helping one another, not just the happy times but also the difficult ones. Sandwich generation, millennial kids, aging parents, nursing homes, and Alzheimer's disease.

No comments: