Monday, July 18, 2011

Rief article a welcome relief!

Rief asks, “What have we learned about writing and the teaching of writing?” I can only speak for me, not the royal “we”. Over the past dozen days I have learned that I enjoy writing, that I am passionate about teaching writing, and that I am changing my strategies for teaching writing, converting more to facilitating writing. My college freshman need to write something other than college papers, Facebook blogs and text messages. I hope to transport them into the “other world” which I have experienced this month. Having students write for no grade, no assignment other than enjoying the writing process and the self-expression and self-exploration that process yields. This is a sufficient end unto itself. There is time later on to restrict, and require other types of writing. “Writing is about representing our experiences, our knowledge, our opinions, our feelings.” (33).

She also asks, “Why does writing matter?”. Writing provides a platform for us to flex our mental muscles, raise and eyebrow, lift someone’s spirits and run down rabbit trails – all great exercise for our brains. “Putting words on paper gives us voice-allows us to be heard…The best writing not only gives us voice, but is filled with voice”…In an era of test-mania, we tend to forget, or dismiss, the importance of writing. If we allow that, others will do our thinking” (35). I have worked with students who “could not think their way out of a paper bag” (whatever that means!!!). I will serve college freshmen well by helping them find their own voice, express that voice and value that expression.

What do our students need to help them write well? Initially, my students need focused, consistent time to write. With several writing prompts under their belts, they can implement choice and write about what matters to them, what they care about or what they are interested in. Carefully chosen readings can provide good models of writing for the reader/audience. Students need an opportunity and venue to respond, building respo0nses that increase in depth, understanding, critical thinking and questioning.

What stands in the way of powerful writing instruction?

In my teaching life I have let many things stand in the way in the past: time, curriculum requirements, my personal busyness, overly structured class time, etc. Now I would add my ignorance, misunderstanding of the potential of the writing process, not taking the time to make personal writing a priority for myself and for my students.

“Our writing lets us understand what we are asking our students to do. Writing puts energy back into our teaching lives…” (38).

No comments: