Saturday, July 23, 2011

What He Could Do

Dad-polish jokes in his pocket

Cook dinner for us girls, but all in one pot

Mow the lawn after his heart attack on a riding mower,

Handkerchief triangle around his head,

Roller skate when I was in eighth grade,

Go from a size fourteen neck on his wedding day to only wearing wife beater shirts in the summer.

Winning state roller skating championship. First met when he asked her to skate-

She was the newbie-and they won first prize that night.

Care for his sisters rather than going to war,

Grandpa to Jeff, but gone too soon for my sons.

Pochy Frankron. (His sons-in-law’s affectionate nickname. His real name was Franky Pochron). Gave me his sense of humor, physique, quick wit, singing voice, and propensity to put on weight. TV, Swiss cheese, a quart of beer per night-pabst blue ribbon-.

I don’t remember much interaction between my parents

Visually, but I knew they loved each other somehow.

Mom did the garden, dad mowed the lawn, he cooked, and she cleaned.

I used to describe my parents as complimentary angels, completing one another, Dan and I do that now.

Never heard my parents fight, never heard them make up,

So I thought Dan and I would never argue

And when we did I assumed it was my fault

Eight grade roller skating party-

He stepped onto the floor

After almost twenty year, did a spread eagle,

Took my hands and skated backwards

With such grace and ease,

Even with his pot belly

From Swiss cheese and a quart of beer each night.

Was my father proud of me?

1 comment:

Jake Smulkowski said...

I think he was, Sharron.